Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Wedding Duties: Our DIY Wedding Cord

There was absolutely no plan to make our own wedding cord. Tito Boy assured me that he will provide us the rope that we can use for the ceremony, and I was totally fine with that. 2 months before the wedding, I was toying with the idea of making our own. No reason in particular, I just want to do some DIY, it's sort of a way for me to de-stress I guess. 

I did a bit of research and found some blogs that suggested to go to Wellmanson. You can read more about how we were able to get there, here

The original plan was for us to get raw materials so we can make a big rosary. True enough they were cheap at about 30 to 60 pesos per strand. We picked the colors we liked and started to compute how much we'll need. We walked around the store and I was looking for some nicer ones that I can use for the "Glory Be" beads when we spotted some bracelets. 

LJ was already tired, so guess what he did... got the bracelets, linked them together and proudly said "ayan! tapos na!" I was in shock, and a little sad about the idea that I won't make it from scratch, but he did have a point. The last thing we wanted is for me to be stressed about this DIY cord and be covered by strands of beads... and of course, crying.

The beads were already nice, and all I need to do now was to link the hooks together. So we did get the bracelets, and I also got the pliers and some extra rings, 



we added a brooch and a cross to our basket, 



The letters were like 2pesos each, so LJ allowed me to 'indulge.' :) 


and off we went. 

While LJ tried to catch some sleep, I started my work on my first DIY, a major DIY for that matter... 

The bracelets costs around 25 to 35 pesos each. The ones we've got have about 5 beads in each bracelet. 

I used a total of 14 big bracelets (4 pink, 6 blue and 1 white  for the loop, and the 3 mixed colors for the pendant of the rosary), then about 6 to 7 small bracelets which were used as spacers.  







So our pattern for the loop was -- blue, blue, half small, white, half small, pink, pink, half small, white, half small, blue, blue, half small, white, half small, pink, pink, half small, white, half small, blue, blue. 



Step 1: Create a mock rosary by linking the bracelets together with just the hooks. This will help you check if you need more, or in my case, less bracelets. 





*Do you see that extra chain of the bracelet at the photo above? I was supposed to remove that since it was too thin and flimsy that I can't attach the hooks to it. It was practically useless. But when I was done, I noticed that it added a little bit of 'bling!' so those stayed :) 

Step 2: Once you are satisfied with the length and the look of your cord, replace the hooks with the rings. You can buy a new set from Wellmanson at 25 pesos a pack, or you can just use the existing one in the bracelet. I bought extra packs, and I'll explain why later... :)  

Loosen the ring with your pliers, like so... 







Remove the hook, then link the bracelets together. Tighten back the ring with your pliers. 

Tip: Those pliers are relatively cheap at about 30pesos each, I suggest you buy two or you can buy one plier/cutter and another round nose one. It's easier to work with those itsy rings using the pliers compared with your own fingers, and when you are talking about roughly 150 to 200 rings, that means major effort for your poor thumbs.  







Repeat the process with the other hooks. 

On making sure you have a sturdy wedding cord... 

The cord symbolizes a lifetime of unity as man and wife, this is the reason the elders still prefers the rope since there will be a risk that your DIY cord will fall apart while you are at the altar. 

The wedding cord we've made actually ended up being heavy, LJ was even scared to hold the cord thinking that he might break it. I didnt like that idea that we have that fear. So over merienda while chit-chatting with my cousins I worked on adding rings to each of the beads even if they've already been linked together as a bracelet. Just to make sure it's strong enough to hold the weight. 



The fad these days is to create the rosary with a built in figure 8 rather than having the sponsors twist it in front during the ceremony. As for our cord, I still made one big loop then used the brooch to 'pinch' the loop to form the temporary figure 8. This is just so the sponsors will have an easier time placing the cord on us at the altar. 

If you have any questions about this DIY project just shoot us an email, we'll be happy to help you :) 

2 comments:

  1. where did you buy your pliers? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi! I got them from Wellmanson Quiapo :)

      Here's the other blog entry for it -- http://onefinedayinmanila.blogspot.com/2012/11/how-to-get-to-wellmanson-quiapo.html

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...