Friday, December 13, 2013

CieLJ Tips: Getting a Korean Visa

You can get a Korean tourist visa for free. It's good for 59 days, and it's fairly easy to get one …well of course, as long as you complete the requirements.


Here are the requirements that we've prepared and some tips:   

1. Application form - you can download the Visa Application form for Korea here. There are some instructions on the second page, take the time read it. There will be available print outs at the embassy and you can use that, but just to relieve you from the stress of standing and looking for the pen, TIN#, etc, just download it and fill it up in advance. 

2. ID photo - some say it should be the passport sized one, although in our case, we gave a 2x2 and they accepted it. This needs to be glued to the form (don't staple), I didn't have glue at home and decided I'll just wing it once we get to the embassy. Good thing there's  a big jar of paste ready on their desk. I guess there's a lot of people like me, LOL!   

3. Passport with at least 6 months validity and photocopies of the pages of the passport including the personal information, and pages of your other OECD Visas. Here's the list of the OECD countries -- in our case I had a US visa  

4. Supporting documents
a. Bank statement - we were able to request this from our bank to show our joint account, it was available in 5 minutes and it costs 100pesos. 

b. Certificate of Employment - for our company, they were quite thorough with the information that they've provided. It already included our salary, dates of travel and the clause that we are responsible for our own travel expenses. I was able to get the hard copy in 3 days. 

c. Marriage certificate - since I already have a US visa, I got a tip that the queue and handling is easier. So I included this document so that LJ doesn't have to queue separately. I just gave both our requirements at the same time. I got this from the NSO Makati office, and had to wait for about an hour. 

d. as for the ITR - we didn't bring any

Once you have all the requirements, head to the Korean Embassy it's by McKinley Hill. They only process applications from 9am to 11am. We got there around 10am and the crowd and parking was manageable. It's right along C-5, the road leading to McKinley Hill. You can take the cab, or even ride the FTI/Gate 3 jeep from Market! Market! or Guadalupe. If you will be bringing a car, you can parallel park near the embassy. 

Make sure all your requirements to get the visa are complete, if you feel like adding copies of your airline ticket or booked hotel, some actually did that. I guess it proves that you can afford to pay for your trip, so why not? 

There is a separate line for those who already have a visa for an OECD country, it was definitely faster. I just took one number for both me and LJ and waited for it to be called.  I handed the lady the documents and our passports and introduced LJ as my husband, and signaling that I'm combining our requirements. She acknowledged with a nod, but didn't say anything to me except "Hello," when she took the requirements and "Thank you" when she handed me my claim slip. Minus the lining up for the visitor pass, and lining up to get a queue number, we were out the door in 10 minutes. There was no interview, they will just be depending on the documents that you gave. The worst part? They will just give you a piece of paper advising you when you can come back to pick up your passport, you have no idea if your visa was approved. You have to wait 5 days! :) I was honestly scared that we might get denied, LOL!

Getting the Visa

I went back to the Korean Embassy in McKinley on the 5th day, as stated on my claim card. I went on my own, because it can only be done in the afternoon and LJ already had some meetings that he needs to attend to. I took a number and waited for it to be called. I handed the lady my claim slip, and waited in suspense. As soon as I grabbed the passports, I was trying to act cool, and walked calmly (or at least I think I was calm, I'm sure I looked like a zombie, haha!) I waited until I stepped out of the building and frantically browsed the pages until I found that wonderful tourist visa! Yey!! :D    

122 Upper McKinley Road, 
McKinley Town Center Fort Bonifacio, 
1634 Taguig
(02) 856-9210



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...