Saturday, July 28, 2012

That One Message


I’m not very good in keeping track of my phones. The batteries die, it’s just in my bag and always in silent mode that it’s making me miss some calls, I seldom get involved in back to back text messaging. I send a couple of replies and if it’s not resolved, I call. I guess I’m lazy in that sense. I’m sure if I’m not in a postpaid plan, not having ‘load’ will be listed along with my other mobile phone shortcomings. 

I was normal once; I was a text addict when I was younger, loved changing phones in the past, but when I joined the BPOs, slowly, I didn’t care about it anymore. It became more of a task, rather than a practical tool. I don’t tell people I’m home, I don’t text my cab details despite being told to do it. I basically run a lifestyle that has ‘no news, is good news’ for a mantra.


Last Friday, I was reminded why we need those mobile phones. I have a practical story and a scary story, I guess the universe just wanted to make sure that I get the point. 

Here’s the practical story – 


Both my phones got drained, and I’m stuck in Market! Market! with LJ having no idea where I was in that huge  mall space. I didn’t panic at first, as I was clinging to the idea that KFC had a charging station. Well, that was a fail; there were a couple of Samsung ports – one was broken and the other didn’t fit. There was no blackberry port. But like a desperate idiot, I still tried the other ports meant for Nokia, Cherry and MyPhone – Fail! I've never memorized LJ’s numbers (that's what the phone's contacts are for) so even if I’m desperate and willing to be that weirdo and maging makapal ang mukha para maki-text, I wont know which number to send it to. 

So what did I do?  What wonderful plan was I able to pull that let me be reunited with my dashing husband-to-be (his words, not mine)? 

Like a highshool kid – I called my MOM! LOL! 

I had a one peso coin, as in isang piso lang! good thing local phone calls now in PLDT phone booths just cost 1 peso as opposed to 2 pesos when I was younger, otherwise, patay! So I called home, and asked her to text LJ. Now you have to understand that I was already feeling some panic; I was feeling helpless and very, very hungry. That one peso only got me one minute of talk time, so I had to make it count – 

“My, pa-text naman, tell him asa Market ako, puntahan nya ako sa National, ha?” 

Of course there’s the sermon, 

asan cell mo
Bat wala battery? 
Parehas??!!

But she went on and said she’ll do it… on the 45th second she went – 

alin number nya text ko?” 
waaaah! Parehas na! 

and then she goes – 

“san ulet?” 
waaaaaaah! 

I was scrambling for another peso, but my frantic search only rewarded me with none. Oh well! 

She did come through and I saw LJ walking to National 20 minutes later. I was like this crazy girl with a big smile on my face even though ang layo pa ni LJ. Those in front of him were wondering if I was smiling at them. Haha! Lesson learned there, set a time and a meeting place,  just in case! 

I seriously thought I learned my lesson there, but like what I said... I think the universe wants to make sure I get the message... 

Scary  Story  

Our friend was scheduled to return from SG that same night. Since PAL kept on delaying its flights, she decided she’ll just take a cab rather than asking anyone to pick her up. We’ve all done this before; I guess for the most part its safe right? 

Well she wasn’t so lucky. She hailed a cab, asked if it’s metered to which the driver said yes, and then they drove off. Things headed south at this point. As soon as the got past the airport gates, the driver handed her a laminated card with the “rates” that were, my dear people, IN DOLLARS! She was taken aback by the sky-high fare; we are not talking 500 pesos here, yung tipong “nakakainis ka naman kuya, pero sige na nga, pagod na talaga ako” rates. The driver was asking for some serious money. When our friend said she didn’t have that kind of cash, and asked to just be returned to the airport, that was when it just went from bad to worse. He yelled at her, threatened her, even told her that she will rape and dump her body. Good thing she was brave and managed to think fast. I’m so proud of her that she didn’t cry or had a scream fest with the driver. Instead, she covered her phone with her skirt and texted us for help. We had no idea where she was, the driver refused to let her go. After so many minutes of tension, scolding and threats, they really hadn't gotten far and they were just driving around in circles near Villamor. 

We instructed her to tell the driver that she’s agreeing to the rates, but since she doesn’t have the money, she’ll get off at my condo instead so we can pay him in full. We already asked the guards in the condo to help us, as soon as that taxi pulls in, we were ready for him. The driver refused, and continued with his threats. I guess he already had an idea that that we were out to get him. 

Later on,  he finally agreed to the 800 pesos that my friend can give, but doesn’t want to start heading to Mandaluyong until he gets half the money so she gave him 500. He made the mistake of taking the Skyway where my friend was able to signal to the girl at the toll booth and also got the attention of the guard. They helped her get out and took them to the police station. 

We picked her up at a station near the Bicutan toll gate, she was still crying non-stop and clearly scared. They were able to detain the driver as well. He looked decent and didn't look like a bad guy at all; had I met him at a different place, or rode his taxi, I would've thought that he looked like a ‘mabait na tatay.’ During the interview he started raising his voice and given that we were already in the police station, I can imagine his tone when they were just alone in his cab. 

I felt sorry for his family whom he kept using as an excuse so that we can forgive him. I feel sad for him, but I would want to think that despite the selfish thoughts running in my head, his bad behavior should be corrected. It’s obvious that once we let him go, he’ll be back on the road, and will once again be a threat to others. 

What if they didn’t go through the skyway? 
What if the girl didn’t see Ishy waving frantically inside the cab? 
What if the guard didn’t command the cab driver not to move the car? 
What if we didn’t see her text message until the following morning?
What if Ishy’s cellphone was not ready? 
Batteries dead? 
Not enough load? Or the unit itself simply tucked too deep in her bag? 

Despite the trauma, we are all glad she’s ok. 

That one message just became the reminder of how important mobile communication is. That it shouldn't be taken for granted, that it should always be charged, available and with enough load. That we should all maximize the availability of this technology to be in constant communication with people that we care for. 

Here are some numbers, just in case you get stuck. Hopefully, you won't need them, but just in case... please keep them in your phone.  



Life-Threatening or Emergency needing Police Action Dial 1-1-7


For Organized Crime & Kidnapping with Ransom
Dial (632) 724-8712 Civil Security Group - (FED)

For Firearms and Explosives Transactions
Dial (632) 722-2939 Civil Security Group - (SAGSD)

MMDA (Metropolitan Development Authority) Hotline Number Dial 136; 09209389861

Be safe everyone! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...